I'm FAT and I run!

Hey! Fat People can run too! Welcome! This blog is optimized for IE7+, Firefox 3+, Google Chrome & Safari. If you use another browser, I can't guarantee it'll look right!

What'll I find here?

Updates on my following and completing the Couch to 5k plan & beyond! There's also great links to other C25k-ers on here!

More than halfway to 5k!

Ahh! I am now more than halfway to running a 5k. My goal is to get it done in just over 8 minutes per mile, which would be pretty good for never having run a 5k before. I am at the point now of being able to do about 2.5 miles in 30 minutes, which includes a 5 minute warm-up and 5 minute cooldown walk, with running/walking intervals during the rest of the training session.

Sunday I completed Day 1 of Week 6 following the Couch to 5k program. It's pretty tough, but I'm getting there. Day 1 of Week 6 went as follows:

5 minute warm-up stretch
5 minute warm-up walk
5 minute run
3 minute walk
8 minute run
3 minute walk
5 minute run
5 minute cooldown walk
5 minute cooldown stretch

I am a huge fan of this interval training. I've got to the point now where my legs are tired before I run out of breath. It's great. I've also moved all my running to outdoor running. I started the first 3 weeks on a treadmill, but then it died, so I bought some new running shoes and hit the asphalt. Running outside seems tougher than the treadmill, but it's much more motivating to keep going. Here in Owatonna we have a lot of miles of descent trails and good scenery, so that too makes it easier to run outside.

Shortly after starting to run outside, I found an app for my iPhone called RunKeeper. It uses the built in GPS of the iPhone to track all your runs and the stats associated with them such as pace, total time etc. With the Pro version that I purchased, you're able to create your own training workouts, such as setting up the Couch to 5K intervals, which is great. Then, while you're working out, it will chime in and tell you when to run, at what pace etc. You can select your iPod playlist from within the app as well, which will auto start it when you begin your training session.

RunKeeper tracks your run and when you've completed your session, it tweets the stats of your run with a link to a map of your run! Awesome! Here's an example of one of my runs:

Just completed a 2.58 mi run with @runkeeper, check it out http://bit.ly/grysj #RunKeeper

This is pretty sweet. Then, once uploaded, you can view the map, edit it if your GPS signal was weak etc. You can keep track of your weeks, see your total distance etc. Just a great app, from a great development team! If you have an iPhone 3g or 3g S, I recommenf you spend the $10.00 on this app in the AppStore. Click HERE to get it! You can also check out RunKeeper.com for more details on this app.

Thanks RunKeeper!

2 comments:

  1. Guttermouth said...
     

    From one big runner to another... great job, keep up the good work!!!

  2. Anonymous said...
     

    I am tripping off your attitude because it reminds me of myself! lol I told people that I was going to run my first 5k at a 9min mile pace or less and they thought I was crazy. Man I would like to share something with you. BALNCE YOUR PH LEVEL IN YOUR BODY AND ITS A WRAP! A great book to read is "The ultimate ph solution". You can find it on amazon for about 5 bucks. Send me a friend request on facebook. Bernard Dion Cherry

Post a Comment